Saturday, November 6, 2010

Custom Window Treatments for My Place - My Plan Comes Together

My family room/breakfast area custom window treatment project is complete. Check out this post to see the original challenge and this post to see how things started, how they progressed and the principles that were applied. 

The windows themselves were challenging. The other challenge that every homeowner faces with a largely furnished home is integrating their window treatment style - fabric and hardware - with their existing furnishings. One of the primary design principles in our home is comfort! I'm not certain that comfort is technically a design principle but form and function are often driven in the real world by comfort and utilizing a space fully for the lifestyle of the homeowner. 
Ahhh, a good nap on the sofa is not just for humans.....
I mentioned that I live with a former linebacker and a dog who both enjoy a leather sofa from time to time. We entertain informally a lot and need a wide variety of comfortable seating both in the family room and near the kitchen. In addition, we already have hardwood floors, oriental rugs and a pair of chairs upholstered in (dog, guest and linebacker friendly) chenille in deep, rich tones. I also wanted a classic simplicity that would stand the test of time. I love experimenting with color and love trends, but in my own life, an updated version of traditional prevails.
Trim samples....
I also had a budget (yes a budget!) of $1000 to complete the project. I established a budget partly because I am by nature a thrifty girl who wants to accomplish the best with the least and as a practical matter, a budget helps give you a parameter for decision making and a framework from which to make trade offs. A lot of my clients are hesitant to give a budget for a project, but it can be critical tool in making the most of your dollar and in making the best design decisions.
The finished window treatments....
We're pleased with the final result. We were able to address the pesky corner with two different size windows, add a layer of softness to the room and provide an additional measure of light control - even with fixed panels (they don't move, they simply hang in place). Our Texas backyard faces west so the wood blinds are a non-negotiable. I crave woven wood shades (see below) but they will have to wait for the next house!
An option for the next project...
For any designer, there is always another project right around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...